The florescent lights were harsh in the plain, white room. It was small and cool. A counter and sink filled one corner, an exam table and chair took up the rest of the space. There were no thoughtful, calming posters on the walls. It was just sterile.
The doctors assistant handed me a a pink drape towel, and said, "Undress from the waist down, the doctor will be in shortly."
"Thank you," I replied.
The exam table was cold as I sat waiting. Finally, a quick knock on the door.
"Come in."
"Hey there. How are you feeling?"
"Good. Pretty good. Still a bit sore but all right."
"That's good. Soreness usually lasts a little while. Any problems?"
"No. The incisions feel a bit tight, but look like they are healing okay."
The doctor examines the incisions, and nods.
"I showed you the pictures, didn't I?"
"What pictures?"
"Of the surgery. Here."
She handed me a folder with two pages in it. Each page contained several photos, internal shots taken during the surgery. Before, during and after.
"So is that it there?"
"Yes. As you can see, the pregnancy had ruptured your fallopian tube, that all there is blood. This was going on Friday when you first went to the ER. They should have never let you leave."
"So, this is what is left now?"
"Yes. I couldn't save the tube, but I managed to leave the ovary."
"So everything is good then?"
"Yes. What are your plans for birth control?"
"Well, I have the pill, but didn't know when I should start taking it. It says to start the same day as my period, but that hasn't happened yet."
"Start Sunday. You don't need to wait. Well.. Actually don't start yet. I need you to have blood work done, to make sure your hCG levels are down before you start using birth control. I'll give you some lab slips. You need to go every week until your levels are down to 0."
"And then?"
"And then start taking the pill."
"What about long term options?"
"Permanent?"
"Yes. I don't want to go through this.. ever again."
Wait til we do vignettes, which is what this is. You'll eat it up.
ReplyDeleteSketches like this are the essential building blocks of any creative nonfiction, I think, and, as I say, you nail this perfectly. Tone is vital, and you establish it in the few lines of description of the room before the doctor's arrival.
So, what exactly is a vignette?? A short scene w/ dialogue?
ReplyDeleteWeek 8 coming up soon--and several weeks of vignettes after that. A sketch, without a plot, giving a scene, maybe some dialogue, maybe not, that captures a moment, mood, feeling, exchange.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I look forward to that. Plot escapes me. It not being necessary makes life, and my writing, easier.
ReplyDelete