***********************************************************************
In the kitchen, after finally 100%'ing Skyrim, his latest video game addiction. He's excited that he actually obtained a platinum trophy for a game, and I use the opportunity to start a discussion about things that need to change. He's happy enough to not become defensive, and seemingly listens to what I have to say. "Now you can trade it in towards the new game you want. But I'm not willing to deal with you playing as much as you have with Skyrim. It shouldn't be something that causes arguments. You get 'your' time every week, and every minute of your free time otherwise shouldn't be devoted to playing a damn game." He agrees and promises it won't be like that.
*********************************************************************
In the bedroom, sitting on the end of the bed, playing a new game. He is completely unaware of anything happening around him. All of his attention is focused on the giant flat-screen TV. Like always, he doesn't hear, or chooses not to listen, to words coming out of my mouth from only 2 feet behind him. I ask him how long he will be playing, he says when it's time for dinner he will stop and the rest of the night will be mine. Then he texts a friend, making plans to play the game together Thursday and possibly later this evening too. "You said the rest of the night was mine, why are you telling him you might hop on to play later if you already made plans with me?" The excuses come with an air of indignation. He just got the game today, after all.
**********************************************************************
Driving down the highway in the hot sun. He realizes the plans for 'his night' of drinking and gaming come at a bad time when the weekend will be filled with lots of responsibilities. This puts him into 'agreeable' mode. He asks to have 'his night' tonight, instead of tomorrow, so he can get other things done before the weekend. I've heard it many times before. It always sounds like a good idea, until it's actually happening. "That's fine. But you are waiting until next Friday next week. And we're going to bed at the usual time?" He's exasperated but agrees. Whatever it takes to get what he wants.
***********************************************************************
In the bedroom, once again, he's sitting on the end of the bed, drinking and playing a game. This time, with friends online. I try to fill my time with whatever I can, these nights always seem so endless and boring to me. The people he's playing the game with are chattering in the background of the game sounds, voices I don't recognize along with children whining and babbling. I run out of ideas of things to do and decide to find a movie to watch. But, with him playing online, my internet might as well be dial-up. I vent my frustration with a sigh, and he meets it with aggression. "You KNEW this is what I was going to be doing tonight, it isn't MY fault you decided you wanted to watch a movie when you already knew I was playing online. It's just like you to give me shit 2 hours into it, and ruin my whole fucking night." Like usual, I am to blame. Of course it is unfair of me to want something to do while he pretends I don't exist as he does whatever he wants to do. Now, I can just sit and wonder what kind of fight will ensue when it's time to be done gaming and drinking for the night. And what kind of promises will be made.
Daily, ordinary, and "humble" content like this has great potential, and it certainly is my preferred and default approach.
ReplyDeleteYou do nice things with the vignettes. Present tense can become a bad habit, but it can be effective and you use it well here. You also know how to end a vignette--not worrying about a neat ending that ties everything together. This one works just right.