Wednesday, March 21

Week 7 Prompts


30. Take a look at a photo of a person. What do you see?

An overweight, jovial looking young man, fair skinned, thick auburn hair, is glaring at the camera with large blue eyes. He has a smile on his face, but it looks a bit crooked near the corners; it's a smile that is taking more effort than it's worth. There's an obvious chip on his shoulder; the weight of the world, and his bright blue eyes show just how tired and weary he really is. He looks too young to be that worn.

31. Who's the first person you remember?

Dorothea. A happy, loving woman, always with a smile on her face and a warm hug to share. Any memory I can recall of her, she was always wearing a red, white and blue checked button down shirt, and was always in the kitchen. She came from a large family, one of 13 herself, she had 11 kids of her own, and each of them had nearly as many grandchildren and great-grandchildren for her. We, all of the younger great-grandchildren at the time, were always at her home. She, and her home, were the pinnacle of our family. And she took care of us all. When we were hungry, she always had some lil' debbie's for us, and when we were thirsty, we got a paper dixie cup and had to scratch our initials on the bottom to keep track. With Nana Drew, you never wasted and you never wanted either. She was already quite old when I came into the world, already frail and weathered, and unfortunately she left while I was still quite young. But in the time she was here, she taught me some important lessons. A kiss is better than a band-aid, never throw away a paper cup unless you aren't going to be thirsty the rest of the day, and love is the best thing you can give anyone- and it's free. Oh, and never, EVER sit in grampa's chair.


32. Who's the last person you'd want to remember? (This has at least two possible meanings--think about it!)

At the end of my life, hopefully long from now, when I am old and withered, I want to remember me. Me at my best moments, before life jaded me with bad decisions and circumstances. The me that put the best foot forward, that trusted people at their word, that always had a smile. Even now, when I look back at myself 10 years ago, I see how different I am. In some ways I am better, but in others I wonder how I could have become who I am now. And in 50-60 years it will be the same, but the me I look back on then will be so different from the me I began as and the me I am now. And when I have lost all of who I once was, and finally die, I hope then I will remember, if for just one moment with my last breath, who I started out as.

1 comment:

  1. 31:

    "never throw away a paper cup unless you aren't going to be thirsty the rest of the day"

    That ties up so nicely with the waste-not idea you mention, and is so funny on its own, and encapsulates a whole generation's view of scarce resources in hard times. My mother saved string, god knows why.

    Anyway, the piece is a corker, a ripping stream of memory and love, absolutely tops, ready for the school literary mag if you wanted to submit.

    Now compare 31 to 32--32 is a squeeze, every word coming with difficulty. The difference between inspiration and an assignment!

    30--well, week 7 isn't vignettes yet, but that's a pretty classic one, giving us an image and a clever summing up.

    31 is the keeper of keepers though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.