Saturday, May 5

Week 11 prompts



52. (Uncle Henry's) Free for the taking: a very good dog he is 3 years old, needs a good home. i just dont have time for him any more.


Free for the taking. Anything can just be passed off to be someone else's responsibility, or problem, this way. I loved this while it was new and fun, but now the shine has worn off and I'm tired of it. If only I can find someone to hand it off to, and go on my way to find something new to love for a little while. And I'll promise that this time's for keeps. This time it'll last forever. But it won't. Somewhere down the road I'll tire of this too. 



54. 3265.
He could not move forward, but he could stop.

Repetitive. Going through the motions over and over. Never getting anywhere, but still. Doing it just to have it be done. Though it was never really done. No progress, no headway. Treading water and trying not to sink. Never approaching the shoreline. Always off in the distance. A distant promise of things that could be. This is life. And it is death.

(I decided to make due with two of these as it still falls into the weeks prompt suggestions, and well, this one was right below the one I chose and I immediately knew what to write..)


3264.
He ate grapefruit.

He hated grapefruit. Had no taste for it. But it was there. And when left with no other choice, he ate it. The availability of the grapefruit, and the lack of any other option, led to it being a daily routine. Somehow, unlike other daily routines, it was not mundane and boring to him. He ate the grapefruit. And eventually, he got used to its bitter taste. Once he became accustomed to its taste, he ate the grapefruit more often. No longer a routine, but a ritual. He had forced and conditioned himself into liking grapefruit. He actually convinced himself that he enjoyed the taste. And now, he loves grapefruit. But, does he really? Or is he just so used to its bitter taste that he's forgotten hating it?

3 comments:

  1. 3264 reminds me of Stephen Crane's poem:

    In the desert
    I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
    Who, squatting upon the ground,
    Held his heart in his hands,
    And ate of it.
    I said, "Is it good, friend?"
    "It is bitter--bitter," he answered;
    "But I like it
    Because it is bitter,
    And because it is my heart."

    ReplyDelete
  2. 52--well, there you go for week 11: words meaning more than they seem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same comment on 3265--though I can't decide there whether I do or don't like those last two sentences.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.