Tuesday, May 8

Week 15 Choice # 4

I'm not a writer.
I know I've said that many times during this semester, and it still rings true to me here at the end.
I had no hopes, dreams or ambitions in regards to writing, so I could not fail or be let down.
This entire experience was both frustrating and enlightening. Every theme, every prompt, I felt frustration and exasperation while I tried to write. Well, a few came out easily, but most were infuriating. Structure and specifics work for me. But here, we were given a brief peek into what we should do and then set free to try. It's a great way of doing things, but hell for me. If you want a beautiful photograph, I can take one for you. If you want a drawing or painting, I can do that too. But an interesting piece of literature with emotion and meaning... I struggle horribly.
I didn't really know what to expect here. I have taken a writing intensive English course before, but it involved reading a lot of material to react to and analyze. I did good at that. Writing papers too. I struggle when given the freedom to choose topics, but I can writing dozens of pages once I have the topic and do the research. Creative writing can't be done with research and citations. And, unless something is on my mind, really nagging at me or hits a chord in me, I can't seem to write about it in any worthwhile sense. 
I took this class with Brad, so we could have something in common during the semester. He loves writing. So, I tried to actively take part in that. I can't say I've hated this class; Mr. Goldfine, you are a pleasantly welcome change from the mundane and authoritarian-type instructors I've had during my college experience. And I have learned a lot. There is... unimaginable amounts of things I don't know when it comes to writing, and in this class I got to learn and try my hand at a few. 
I suppose that is another reason I struggled. Doing things you don't know the first thing about is hard. And I get frustrated easily. So that's a bad combination. But in order to learn, one must try. So I have, and I'm glad I did. I don't think I'll take any more writing classes that I don't absolutely need, because the frustration level in my life is already at a steady high, why throw more wood on the fire? 
But, thank you for teaching me, and for encouraging me. I questioned a lot of my pieces on here, but you were always there letting me know when I did things well. Another thing you should get a little gold star sticker for.. praise and reassurance. So, kudos to you. 

2 comments:

  1. Why does my gold star have what looks suspiciously like a shit-stain down in the SW corner???

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! honestly, I try not to question such things.
    I think it's just bent. Blame google images.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.