It's freezing. I know, this is winter in Maine. But it happens to be freezing inside as well as out. There is currently a (probably extremely hazardous and faulty) space heater older than myself sitting on the floor in front of my bed, making an odd whirring sound that I'm sure it's not supposed to make. It's just sitting there, whirring, looking a bit ominous. As if any moment it is going to explode and catch the room and myself on fire. But I don't feel any heat from it. I'm only 5 feet away. It's sitting there, jacking up my electric bill minute by minute, and I'm still freezing. Useless.
Aside from the chill in the air, today hasn't been bad. There is always a mix of mundane and drama in day to day life, and some days that is irksome. Today, not so much. A lot of questions though. Why, when already having to go through the hassles and jump hurdles to get a prescription filled, must I go through all of it again just to get it refilled? Why would Maine's medical coverage prefer to cover stimulants and not non-stimulant medications for children? Why are we out of heating oil in January, when back in October we gave our landlord 5 months of rent in advance to avoid this problem? And why does our kitchen smell like the cats had a party and invited all the neighborhood strays? Whatever. I don't know the answers, but being aware of the problems is at least a step in the right direction.
I seem to be putting off finishing the autobiography part of this weeks homework, despite knowing it would be better to just get it done. Writing from different perspectives isn't something I've ever really done, and I'm not sure where to start. I do first person well enough, as it is what gets used on a daily basis, but 2nd and 3rd..ugh. I'll get it done. Might not be pretty, but it will be something to learn from.

I'm not a great believer in gain-thru-pain, at least not as far as writing is concerned, and if you tell me that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I am going to laugh out loud. Which is to say I can't guarantee you'll learn anything from trying to write about your writing life in the third person. It's just an exercise with the possibility of offering a different writing buzz.
ReplyDeleteNow, you're not a perfectionist, are you, miserable unless you meet your own impossible standards of write-a-tude?
No, what doesn't kill me just hurts. A lot.
ReplyDeleteCertainly not a perfectionist. My only standard for the autobiography here is that I get it done. I might bitch the whole way through, but so long as I finish it, I can feel like I achieved something.